Friday, July 3, 2009

A Real Man

This month at Scrap the Boys we were instructed to be inspired by the saying, "Real men don't eat quiche." We were to scrap photos of our boys or men being not so masculine. You know maybe their secret thing for pink, them in some girly dress-ups, makeup, flowers in their hair. We all have those photos that make us think “hmmm . . . that will be a good one for their 21st birthday party.” The criteria was to start our title with “real men (or boys) don’t . . .” Here's my take.







My toddler is totally addicted to his pacifier. So much so that when he lost every single one of them, I had to run to the Wal-Greens to get new ones. [We'll fight that battle a little later.] The only ones they had in 18+ months in his brand were pink. I didn't have the time or desire to search all over town for masculine colored pacis, so I bought the pink ones. People got a kick out of Mr. Rough and Tumble sporting a pink paci. I decided to take a photo of him for his dad. I mean there he was in some Real Tree Camo pajamas and a pink paci. Gotta make a dad proud, hun? So glad I got to scrap them, too.

I have been holding on to this Pink Paislee paper forever, loving it but thinking I'd never be able to use it. Amazingly, the colors matched my photo perfectly. The butterflies are cut from a KI Memories lace cardstock piece. The black flourishes are Hambly cutouts. To make these pop, I've used some Me and My Big Ideas chipboard lables . . . LOVE them! Then to girl it up even more, I've embellished the butterflies with stick pins and big black jewels. Big suprise that I journaled with the Dymo, hun? I'm telling you . . . it'll be a while before I put that thing to rest.

Anyhoo, head on over to Scrap the Boys for more great inspiration on this challenge. It's the debut of the new design team, and it's a good one. Check out the prize for July . . . it might just make you want to scrap some "girlie" photos of your men or boys, too!

Happy Scrappin'

12 comments:

Frances said...

Ok, my new favorite! Just love the color combo and that boy is a mess.

Jodi said...

APHRA I LOVE IT!! This is my FAV of yours too! I love it! LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!

Sarah said...

That is a hilarious and beautiful page. TFS!

laterg8r said...

such a great subject for your lo - love the butterflies and dymo journalling :)

Arby said...

Beautiful! Hi eyes really pop!! Love looking at your blog!! Might have to do the same I have some great photos of my littl man wearing beads etc!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Tracey said...

What a brilliant page Aphra. Love how you scrapped these precious photos....xxx

iza said...

boy n pink.nothing is wrong with it.ive a story of my boy n pink n i think i want to scap about it too.u inspires me.lol...pink + green, i think its a great combo.the balck really stand out...love ur page...

Troy said...

aphra...awesome layouts. i will try to post a few that i have done in the past...i actually did one for a client that was....real men wear pink! i love that blog, thanks so much for posting the link...you inspire me, love your work!
wendy

Jenn said...

Love this layout!! And I have boys as well..and yes...we had a yellow butterfly shaped binky. :) Sometimes when you are in desperate need you don't CARE what color they are!! tee hee Great memory to scrap and fantastic layout!!

Melissa Fournet said...

A,
when do you find the time?? it takes me 8 hrs to do just one!! love the l/o's and your great ideas, check my blog for my new l/o and see which idea i scraplifted!!! ha ha ha ha
see ya soon

yyam said...

This is fabulous Aphra! Great story too! It's not even the sweet girly pink but hot pink! ;)

Staci said...

Aphra, this layout is gooorgeous!! I love it! And I love the challenge - I have a few photos that would work perfectly for that ;-) My toddler is also addicted to her paci - ack!