Monday, June 14, 2010

Gotta Love the Rub-Ons!

So far this month at The Paper Poppy, we've posted a sketch and an art challenge to inspire you. This week, we are going to highlight some of our favorite products from the June kit. Not an easy task for me because I love soooooo many items in the kit. But since I just have this one post, I think I'll focus on the Lily Bee Rub-Ons.

Odd, really, because I don't normally use rub-ons. But the Lily Bee ones are bold, oversized, and somewhat neutral. All their sweet sentiments were just perfect for this mini album that I created for my husband for Father's Day.

I decided that I would use the GCD Cossette papers for the background of the mini. I thought the black and white was a little bit more masculine and would let the Lily Bee embellishments really pop. For example, how much do you love the Glimmer Misted doilie and yellow Prima alphas jumping off that zebra print paper? Mmmmm . . . nice.

These Lily Bee Die Cuts inserted throughout the album really make me smile. I cut off a little piece so that they would have a nice flat edge and then embellished each sort of like journaling.

Look how well the blue "enjoy" rub-on looks on the GCD chipboard. I was surprised that it showed up so well. I love it against that black. Ok, now let's focus on my favorite accent, maybe in the whole mini. That polka dot flower! It was made from the edge of one of the die cuts, smushed up and stuck to the back of one of the Lily Bee chipboard flowers and topped off with a Melody Ross brad. Some pretty technical scrapping right there, ladies, I know.

I peeled off the top of one of the GCD chipboard pieces and chalked it yellow. The leathery finish was such a nice surprise. And again, the Lily Bee Rub-ons did not disappoint.

For this one, I added the rub-on to a piece of yellow cardstock, mainly because it was too hard to add it to the white die cut because the other side was embellished so heavily. To give it a little more dimension, I replaced the letter d with a chipboard one. I HAD to use that animal print again. LOVE it!

Since the rest of the mini is so masculine (har har), I thought that I could girl up this page since there's a picture of me on it. Nothing says feminine to me more than that organza rosette ribbon. It was killing me that I hadn't been able to use it yet. Eeek! Cute stuff. And then I added some more rolled flowers. Quick, easy, pretty! I don't know if you can tell, but my photo is mounted on the Prima stamp packaging and there's a stamped photo corner as well.

And then here's the last page where I'll add a gift card for my husband. That'll be his favorite page. LOL!

So, what is your favorite product in the June Paper Poppy kit? Not sure. Well, Lydia, Frances, and Liz will be here all week to share theirs. Pay attention. There might just be a quiz this weekend. Hint. Hint.

See you soon!

5 comments:

Beatriz said...

Aphra, your mini album is adorable! yes, like everything you make and put together. I love it!

Like I said, this week is all about your kit.. I can't wait to share! Happy Monday!

Kristine said...

what a sweet mini! great job girlie ;-)

Suzanne said...

Love the mini album! So sweet!

Debbie said...

Great mini album! I just got your kit last week and can't wait to use it! So full of goodies!

iza said...

love ur mini album aphra...like the colors u choose.look happy n fun.