Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Paper Bow Tutorial

Our family has lots of birthdays in the summer. I do a great job of planning the present and making a card, but I don't always remember to get packaging. Solution? I create my own. Here's a quick and easy idea for creating a bow from your scrapbook papers.

Supplies:

1 12x12" sheet of double-sided patterned paper (Imaginisce's new Birthday Bash line is perfect for this one!)
Paper Cutter
Stapler
Dimensional Glue Dots or Pop Dots

Step One: Cut 9 3/4" strips from your 12x12" paper. Leave 3 strips full length. Cut 1" off 3 of the strips. Cut 2" off 2 of the strips. Cut the last strip down to 4" long.





Step Two: Twist each strip to form a loop at both ends and staple it in the center. Roll the short strip into a loop and close it with a glue dot.





Step Three: Stack the three longest loops on top of one another, spacing them evenly apart and attaching them with a glue dot. Add the next two groups of strips in the same way. Stick the loop in the center.





Step Four: Add your finished bow to your package and you have a special gift!







For another look, you could alternate which side of the patterned paper is on the outside. Or you could cut shorter strips to make a smaller bow. This could really be a good way to use up some scraps, too. The possibilities are endless.....


Thanks for stopping by today. See you soon!

33 comments:

Maria said...

love this idea...will have to try it out love the way your parcel turned out.

erin said...

oh so pretty!

gottaluvboyz said...

That is adorable! Thank you for this lesson:)

Julie Bonner said...

What a fab idea!!! LOVE it :)

Beatriz Farquhar-Guzman said...

wow... this is adorable! If I would ever get a bow like that I would never open my present!!!!!!!!

Laurie (Wally) said...

Love these bows... I have only made them at Christmas time...but this paper is perfect for them.. thanks for posting this.. and the inspiration

Frances said...

This is an adorable project Aphra!! Can't believe that the bow is that easy.

Creative Char said...

Way easier than it looks. Great tutorial! I love the bow!

Bronwyn said...

I made a Christmas bow. Thanks Aphra!

Alexis said...

who knew it could be just that easy!! Definitly and idea that I'm going to have to try!! Love the tutorial. Thanks :)

Eric and Elizabeth said...

Love the bow idea. Thanks for sharing.

creative patti said...

Thank You, Thank You, I have a ton of Birthdays during the summer and this would be prefect for all the gifts I have to send out. Amazing work!!

Kelly Massman said...

Beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial!

Vivian said...

LOVE this, Aphra!!

Sarah Mullanix said...

oooh, this is sooo cute...I've been wanting to know how to do this for a long time!!! TFS

Teresa Jaye said...

Awesome, Aphra! This is beautiful, thanks for sharing how to make it!

Me, Myself and I.... said...

OMGOODNESS...I absolutely LOVE this idea...TFS!!!

ScrapMomOf2 said...

This is CUTE to the maximum!! Love it! Thanks for the directions on how to make it!

Kim said...

That is so stinkin cute and Easy !! TFS

Jamie Harder said...

LOVE this!!!!!! I am SO making one!!! Thanks for the FAB tutorial!!

Suzanne said...

You are so creative!!! thanks for sharing this great idea!!!

Lydia said...

Totally freaking awesome Aphra!! I will have to book mark this so I remember it come christmas time!!

Melanie said...

Wow! i love this idea!

Angele said...

How cute is that!

Liz said...

I am soooooo trying this! Thank you for the tutorial!

Amy K said...

What a beautiful addition to any package. Thanks for the tutorial.

Gremma said...

Thanks! I just made a bow after finding your tut on Pinterest. It looks beautiful!

Darlene said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing how to do this. I luuuuv the bows & packaging as much as the gift, but they usually cost so much that I skip over the super cute stuff. Not anymore! :)

kimberly.ryleigh.foster said...

I love this! I couldn't find any double sided paper that I liked and I wanted my 2-year-old daughter to be involved in the making, so I had her blow bubbles mixed with food coloring onto white paper and then we used red to lightly brush the back. We turned this paper into bows for all our christmas presents! I'm also gonna have her do the same to a roll of brown parcel paper... and then I'm going to use it to wrap everything, and for a sprig of color... we're using red streamer as a "ribbon" around the packages! I'm so excited to see everyone when they get their personalized christmas presents!

Kristine said...

Where did you find those kraft boxes? I've searched the Internet high and low looking for short square kraft boxes with lids. Thanks!

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

found your post through pinterest. This bow is gorgeous!! Thank you for the inspiration.
xoxo,
Amy

Beth Ann Chiles said...

Beautiful bow---definitely going to try to do this with the overabundance of paper I have in my crafting closet!! Thanks!

Carol Ann said...

Cool, can't wait to try it! Found it on pintrist!