Sunday, September 5, 2010

New Sheriff in Town

Back in July, I attended my local scrapbook store's main event, The Rayne Forest Crop, in Rayne, Louisiana. While I cropped and hung out with all the fab ladies from Treasured Memories, my sweet husband entertained the children. They went to the zoo, Chuck E Cheese, swimming, the ice cream shop, and the park. My three guys had a wonderful time. So much so that they were willing to help me pack up all of my scrappy stuff when it was time to go home.

My cute scrappy friend Beatriz took it upon herself to entertain my two little guys while my hubs and I packed up. The next thing I know, she has drawn black Sharpie mustaches on their faces and given the oldest a sheriff's badge. Sharpie? I know. Then they had a little photo shoot. Funny stuff! And that's the subject of my Creative Scrappers layout today.

My 2 Amigos

Oh my gosh . . . still cracks me up! I don't think I'd be laughing if that Sharpie hadn't washed off, though. I'm still not sure how she did that.

While I was at the crop, I bought this paper from Glitz. Love the bingo pattern and the stars and the colors. I think it works well with the theme of this one. However, I didn't have any embellishments, so that was the challenge.

This week's Creative Scrappers sketch was created by yours truly. (I get such a kick out of seeing my sketch up on the site. Hee hee!) Anyhoo, it contains a really large star. I decided to cover each part of my star with a different pattern, mostly from my stash of journal cards. Then to cover up all my messy seams, I added a Jillibean Soup journal sprout, which made a great spot for part of my title.

I went a little overboard with the star theme and added them everywhere. I have a Sizzix die that contains four stackable stars on it. I punched several and then got to stacking, a technique I have used on many layouts. Still love it!

For the title, I used Jillibean Soup's corrugated alphas that I dry brushed with blue paint. I like the natural kraft color, but it didn't show up so well.

To add even more texture (and extend my scrappy time by at least 30 minutes), I stitched around the edge of the whole layout. And since I hadn't used much of the dotted paper, I folded down the corner, tacked it with thread, and attached a scrap to the back like it was peeking through. I can't believe how much interest that simple technique added to the corner. Fun!

Now you need to scoot on over to Creative Scrappers HERE so you can see the sketch and the rest of the team's amazing work. I love seeing all the different takes on the sketches. And I'd love to see yours too! Have a great day!

9 comments:

Laurel said...

What a fabulous layout!

Michelle said...

I wish my LSS would carry Jillibean product!! I love this!! So cute!!

Elisabeth said...

Ohhh, this is so cute! Really sweet photo and wonderful LO!

Kat said...

that is such a cute layout! i love all the details...and i'm very glad that the sharpie was able to be washed off their faces!!!

Jennifer said...

Aphra I love your take! That paper is so great and all the detail of the stitching. Such sweet photos and love the story behind it. Your sketch was awesome. It pushed me to finally use a star in a LO. I gotta do that more often! :)

Kathy Martin said...

How darling are those two?!?! And what a wonderfully fun and colorful page! :)

Caroline said...

What a great layout with such a cute and funny story behind it. I love all the stars too!!

Tanya Tahir said...

those photos are so cute, love your layout!

Lisa said...

Love the layout and the photos are adorable.