Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Patriotic Mantel

Hi friends!  After we got back from the beach, I realized that my mantel was still decorated for Spring and Easter.  Oops . . . I had been so busy wrapping up the school year for me and both boys and then prepping for vacation that I just didn't have time to change out the mantel.  Well, it was way past due so I got right on it.  I decided that I would decorate it in a patriotic theme and leave it up until the end of July.  Here's what I came up with.

Patriotic Mantel


My inspiration for the entire mantel was this canvas I saw on Our Thrifted Nest.  She gives great directions on how to make it, too.  


I used a 16 x 20 canvas vertically because I wanted some height.  I also added some Mod Podge Sparkle on top of the red stripes.  LOVE that sparkly affect.  Then I cut a star from my Silhouette and the yellow word.  I added a Mason jar of flags that I bought in a pack at Hobby Lobby.  The printable came from The Crafting Chick's blog.  There are tons of them all over the Internet though.



While trolling the Internet for ideas for the canvas and the printable, I saw tons of different wooden block sets.  I sent my hubby out to the garage to cut up a 2x4 into three 4" blocks that I painted in red, white, and blue.  I cut out the yellow letters on my silhouette and used Mod Podge to adhere them to the blocks.  So easy and cute.  This picture really doesn't do them justice.


My last source of inspiration was this fabric bunting tutorial that I found at My Dreamy Party HERE.  Her directions were so easy.  And her photo is SO much more clear than mine.  LOL   


I used fabric squares that I already had on hand, so I don't have any patterns in my garland.  That's okay, though, I didn't spend a dime!  I hung my garland from my mirror and called it done.


Thanks for stopping by today!  I'll be back soon to share my Pintrest-inspired summer wreath.  Have a great day!


2 comments:

Michelle said...

It looks great!!! I need to make some stuff with Brit. The 4th of July is her favorite holiday.

Diane said...

I'm lovin that canvas, Aphra!!