Thursday, July 25, 2013

Back to School Mantel

Just typing the words "Back to School" is making me cringe just a little.  Our summer has been so much fun, but it has gone by way too quickly.  We only have about three weeks until school starts.  Until we have to set our alarm clocks, pack our lunches, and do homework.  Can you tell I'm not that excited?  Ha, ha.  Well, to help get myself in the mood, I decided to create a Back to School Mantel.  


It all started with the book paper wreath.  I've seen them all over Pinterest and in magazines, so I thought that I'd give it a try.  I used a few different tutorials and techniques to help me figure out the easiest way to construct it.  You can see the ones I checked out on my Back to School Pinterest board HERE.


While I was shopping for my wreath form, I found the red ceramic owl at Hobby Lobby.  With my coupon, he was only $8.  I really wanted him to stand out so I chose pretty neutral colors with pops of red.  I also chose to go neutral so that I wouldn't have to do anything to the paper mache letters that I bought.  Now that I'm looking at these pictures, though, I'm thinking they would look awfully cute decoupaged in the book paper.  The same technique that I used for the canvas propped up on the left.


The canvas banner is probably the fastest banner I've ever made.  I bought the banners a while back at Hobby Lobby.  The chalkboard label stickers are from my scrapbooking stash.  One set is from Pink Paislee and the other is from American crafts.  Peel and stick . . . gotta love that!  I attached them to a piece of twine using mini clothespins.  The framed piece is a free printable that looks like writing on a chalkboard.  I just googled "free chalkboard printable" and then chose one about learning.


Well, now that my mantel is all decorated for Back to School, I guess I better get back to finishing up my classroom.  See you soon with my August Project Life pages.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

This looks great!! I am glad you have had a good summer. :) The summer is going by too flipping fast!!!! Each year, it goes faster. My kids had an extended school year because the Superintendent got crazy with the snow days. So they have only been out of school about 5.5 weeks, and it has whizzed by.

L.B. said...

Such fun. Love this fun wreath.