Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Bee's Knees

This month's assignment for Treasured Memories was a little different. We were given fewer supplies. In my packet, I had black Bazzill dotted swiss cardstock, Buzz and Bloom chipboard vines, Queen and Co. black felt border, a punched Bazzill black border, and lots of tickets. We were also given a list of ten challenges. I chose to use a triad of colors from the color wheel, use only three pictures, use beading, use Crystal accents in a new way, and use bees. My layout "You Color My World" features papers by Sassafras Lass. So much fun!



I hand cut the sun and clouds from my favorite papers in the Sassafras Line. I chalked the edges and outlined them in black. They are also popped up with foam squares. To use the tickets, I layered them along with the Sassafras edges underneath the photos.

I also hand cut the bumblebee and created his fuzzy head with black seed beads--glued on with none other than Crystal Accents. His wings are made from a scrap of Making Memories polka dot sheer. To make the bumblebee's trail, I strung some more of the beeds on floss, looped it, and attached it with (you guessed it!) Crystal Accents.



I made the flower pots using white coated cardboard packaging. I sanded and chalked it a little. Then I used my Bazzill punched border as a stencil for chalking the polka dots onto the front. I drew around the polka dots and applied Crystal Accents to make it pop. I cut apart the Buzz and Bloom chipboard, chalked and stickled it, and planted them in my pots.



I added Crystal Accents polka dots to my Bazzill chipboard letters so they would tie in with all the other polka dots on the page. To add more black to the page and to fill in a little white space, I hand stitched around the edge of the patterned paper.

Finally, I cut apart the Queen and Co. felt border and attached all the little flying bugs around the page to draw your eye to the photos. Each bug has his own doodled trail.





By the way, does anyone know what the expression "Bee's Knees" means? Or if the expression is longer? I googled it and got conflicting answers. It either means small and insignificant or excellent. Hmmmm......

13 comments:

Frances said...

I LOOOVE IT!! So colorful and in my favorite line.

XXOOXXOO

Brandy Romero said...

WOW!!!! soooo stinking cute! Another great layout! So much color and fun. I LOVE IT! Good job aphra, see you tomorrow!

Liz said...

So cute, Aphra! Love all the little detail!

Lisa F. Hebert said...

Hi,

Your layout is awesome. The colors are great. I thought Bee's Knees meant something very good or great. See you tomorrow night.

Jessica said...

wow...fantastic! those embellies are just amazing...especially that bee!

Jodi Wilton said...

This is amazing Aphra!!! WOW!!!

Jamie Harder said...

I LOVE that bee!!!! Fabulous work!!!

~Sasha Farina~ said...

the handmade bee is so precious... so much details in here.. I love it!

Rochelle said...

FABULOUS! I love it! I love all the details!

MyLittleTeapot said...

WOW!!! You are very creative! I love how yu personalized this page

Denise said...

Oh My Gosh...this is just amazing!!! Love your work!!! Can't wait to see some more!!

ally serrato said...

holy moley ~ another amazing layout!! i love that little bee and the faux stitching around the edges ~ great job chicky!!!!

Heather Bares said...

Love this!