Saturday, April 11, 2009

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!

Here's my third layout for the Urban Anthology Design Star Contest. The challenge was to go green in at least two eco-conscious ways.

I reduced the amount of new supplies that I used--just the cardstock. Instead of using floss, I drew in the stitches. The mini popsicle sticks I used for the journaling have sentiments on the back side.And one of my favorite techniques--told to me by the fabulous Heather Bares--I used a Sharpie to color a bunch of old Thickers from half-empty packages. Love that!

To reuse, I used products that can be used more than once. I stamped, inked, distressed, doodled, and die cut.

I recycled quite a few products on the layout. I used scraps of pattern paper and pages from an old book for the grid. I rolled pages from that same book for the border behind the photo. I even used the cover of the book for the red circle behind the journaling. The stars are all die cut from a piece of cardboard that came in an online scrapbook order. The apple was die cut from a Starbucks' coffee collar--love the small corrugation!

I'm really happy with this layout, especially since it cost me about $2.50--seventy-nine cents for the cardstock and about $1.50 for the photo. Gotta love scrapbooking on the cheap!



8 comments:

Susan Longman said...

Love the layout Aphra...especially the stars ...going to have to crack out my stamps and lift that idea...beautiful work as usual ...every time I browse your blog I am inspired

MyLittleTeapot said...

This is gorgeous Aphra! Im loving all the details on this LO! Im wishing all the luck for that contest!

Happy Easter Sweetie@!

Jamie Harder said...

I LOVE the idea of a "green" challenge and you rocked it!!!! All of those stars are amazing!

Tawnya said...

Wow, I really like this page!! And it is "green!"

Samantha said...

Your work is fabulous, I noticed it at Urban A, good luck with the contest-can't wait to see if you get it!!

Troy said...

love love love! i want you to help me figure out how to design a new blog...love yours! love the stars on your layout. are they handcut or do you have a punch or cricket?

fablady said...

I really love this lo,u so need to post it in my gallery I love it,I will have to scraplift it,lol,karen

Heather Bares said...

love this!!!