Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Sew Cute!

I snapped this sweet photo of my hubby and his sister at my two-year-old's birthday party back in April. I immediately knew I wanted to scrap this photo for a couple of reasons. First off, I can't believe how alike they look. They could be twins! Also, it's further evidence of how important our family is to us. We love getting to gether with family as often as possible.

But, probably the most important thing is that she's so happy in this photo. After a lot of searching, my sister-in-law has fallen in love with a wonderful man whom she'll be marrying in November. My husband and I and our two boys will all be in the wedding. Holy smokes...won't that be a hoot!



Just wanted to point out the post card edge that I made using my small circle punch. I measured it out and then punched half-way and then outlined it to make it pop. I just LOVE that effect.



I cut those butterflies from a sheet of KI Memories lace cardstock and then backed one with some scrap paper. And I don't know if you can see it, but the flourishes are Tim Holtz grungeboard coated with some crackle paint. Ooo, love that stuff, too!



All you Dymo lovers out there must go to Michael's and buy the newest pack of Dymo tape: blue, pink, and clear! How fun is that?



Two more fun ideas are the small circle mirrors in the centers of the flowers. They're hard to photograph, but oh my gosh! you'll love them in person. I picked those up for cheap at the Michael's. And, maybe my favorite accent, is the beaded letters. I took some old white chipboard alphas from who knows when, gooped on some Crystal Accents, and poured on some itty bitty seed beads. It was messy, but I really like the result.

And lastly, I LOVE hand stitching on a layout! On this one, I stitched around the edge of the scalloped circle to make it pop a bit. For step-by-step instructions for hand stitching or more ways to incorporate it into a layout, go check out my tutorial HERE at 52 Sketches...52 Weeks.

12 comments:

Jamie Harder said...

Wow I have to take notes when I visit your blog...lol...so many great ideas and you explain everything so well!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

Tracey said...

Gorgeous LO Aphra. Such a beautiful photo too....xxx

Jessica said...

soooo awesome! fab tutorial...with beautiful examples, and love this pg. of sis and hub to be! congrats to her!

Heather said...

I loved your tutorial! Thanks for the tip about using a punch for those edges - I need to try that! Love all your embellies and such a sweet photo!

Carolyn said...

Very cute layout. I've left you an award on my blog!

laterg8r said...

great to let us know you made the edges of the paper and how you did it so we can try it ourselves. i thought you'd bought the paper that way! thanks

Frances said...

Love this layout Aphra. Whoopee...you got to create a girly layout! I really like the pops of blue on the layout. Also, loved the tutorial.

Lindsay said...

Such a gorgeous LO and you got to use pink! I love what you did with the grungeboard and the lace cardstock - awesome beading on the letters too! You inspire me, Aphra! :)

Jodi said...

WOW! Love your LO Aphra!! Thanks for sharing some tips too! Once again... you blow me away! :)

Lucy Edson said...

So beautiful, love all of your little details and stitching!! They look related for sure, great photo! ;)

Stacey Michaud said...

so pretty! I love how you did the edging! Very clever!

AmesOx said...

Beautiful LO's as always!! Love the pink :-) Great stitching tutorial over at 52 Sketches too, I loved it!