Friday, December 4, 2009

Altered Candle Jar

I bought several candle jars to give as gitfs this year. They seemed a bit plain and not very festive, so I decided they needed a little altering. The bright, playful patterns of Imaginisce's Polar Expressions line was just the answer.



I don't know how well you can see them, but I applied rub-ons around the neck of the jar. They were so easy to apply even on a glass jar.



As for the flower, it's made from nine circles of patterned paper and an I-Top brad. Here are the instructions:

1. Cut nine 1.5" circles from double-sided paper.

2. Fold each of eight circles in half twice so that the circles are divided into quarters.


3. Fold in small sections of the top of the circles to form points.


4. Turn the circles over and form a point with the previous folds. Almost like a paper airplane.


5. Use thin glue dots to attach the eight folded circles (petals) to the ninth circle (base).


6. Add something to the center of the flower.

Happy folding!

11 comments:

Jana Eubank said...

These look fun! I'll have to give them a try!

~~Mia~~ said...

Aphra, have I told you lately that you are awesome? Well you are, you rock! Awesome jars! :D

stephanie said...

I love having candles around my house, but have never thought to alter the jars..this is a great project!

Lydia said...

So pretty Aphra, great folding technique

Paula's Crafty Corner said...

Wow this is a very neat idea. Certainly made the candle jars look more festive. Your folding technique is very good. I need more practice with it, my creations never look as good.

If you get a chance to stop by my blog, I have candy offering. 'Sugar Nellies' stamped images, papers and embellishments.

Paula***

Wendy said...

love these flowers, have been seeing them around and have always wanted to make one thanks for the instructions. love your blog!

Wendy said...

PS. You and Frances should come to Janet's New Years Crop Jan 2nd, it would be great to crop with ya'll!

chelemom said...

Love this altered candle jar! Those flowers ROCK!

Greta Adams said...

love the flowers...i need to try that....that jar turned out so stinkin cute

prashant said...

but have never thought to alter the jars..this is a great project!


Work from home India

Maureen said...

Great idea to alter these jars; they always get so nasty looking after they've burned for awhile! Loved your instructions. Found you through Tim Holtz's blog, he mentioned the imaginesce blog on one of his Tag Days Series, and your project caught my eye! Thanks for the instructions from San Marcos, Texas! Go Horns!